Communications technology offers opportunities to transform the delivery of services and increases opportunities citizens to input to the design and delivery of services. Not investing properly will only lead to increased costs in the future.
• IT strategies too focused on cutting costs rather than service improvement
• Budget cuts are widespread and impacting on their ability to deliver services
• There are clear issues with staff cuts, not just in terms of numbers but the skills mix of the workers who remain
• There is no cutback in demand for services so cuts have led to increased workloads
• Staff morale is very low and most expect things to get worse
• There is a real risk that staff will take up better paid opportunities elsewhere