This briefing looks at the recommendations of the independent Advisory Group on Post-Covid 19 Economic Recovery. The Group presented its report to the Scottish Government on 22 June. The full 77 page report is available here. UNISON’s May 2020 submission to the Advisory Group, can be read here.
The recommendations include:
- An urgent review of the structure, funding and regulation of the care sector by the Scottish Government.
- A Fair Work Agreement for the social care sector to be collectively bargained by the relevant employers and trade unions and concluded by June 2021.
- Accelerated investment in housing, particularly affordable housing, with the new Scottish National Investment Bank playing a key role.
- Schools, local authorities and government to be asked to assess and address how to meet the cost of the additional resources needed to help children catch up for learning lost during the pandemic, especially those children already most disadvantaged.
- Universities and colleges to be protected from the financial impact of the crisis with bridging funds provided as required, and to be asked to align their teaching provision with business and employer needs.
- A priority to be placed on apprenticeships, including graduate apprenticeships, with some delivery of these taking place in colleges.
- A jobs guarantee scheme for young people aged 16-25 years, with this recommended to be paid at the Living Wage.
- Government action to protect the third sector, including an examination of the scope for longer term funding of services and more collaborative approaches to procurement.
- Scottish Government to develop sectoral plans for green economic recovery, concentrating on those sectors where there is greatest opportunity to reduce emissions and create jobs.
The Scottish Government will publish its response to the report by the end of July 2020.